8/24/2012

camping #3

It was so wonderful to wake up to the sound of water on the sand, and birds and wind.  I was the first one up, so I walked the dog around looking for some wood.  I found enough to start the fire.   I had the fire going and was starting the water, when a shirtless man came wandering down the lane holding what looked like a jug of apple juice, mostly gone.  tobbie  freaked out barking of course, as he'd spent most of the weekend barking.  The man said he would pay me $8 to get him to leave him alone.  I of course stood by the dog and let him go on by.  He was talking to himself and wandering around.  I thought he was either drunk, high, or very mentally unstable.
 He was at the other side of our spot then turned around and started yelling over at me, but I couldn't hear b/c Tobbie was still barking.  Thankfully between the barking, and the man yelling from the other side of our tent, Ryan got up.  So the man stated asking Ryan if he'd drive him to the other side of the lake, and he could pay him $8.  Ryan politely said no, and the man wandered down to our beach site and plopped down muttering to himself.  We weren't sure what to do, but by then the kids were getting up.
 I was driving the kids over to the bathroom when the security truck pulled down our lane, so I slowed down and rolled down my window, telling them about the man.  Apparently that is who they were looking for, and of course the "action" happend on our camp site.  By the time I came back with the kids the man was still sitting on our beach refusing to leave with security, and the police were pulling up.  For once we hadn't called them that weekend!  But he felt strongly attatch to that spot on the beach, so he had to be arrested and taken away.
 As you can see from these pictures it didn't take away from the children's morning, in fact I think they rather enjoyed it.  It was quite difficult to keep their attention on the fire when 20 feet away a man was peaceably being taken into custody.  We ended up laughing at what an incredibly bizarre camping trip it turned out to be.
In the end though, it was really a lot of fun and we have some great memories, though God gave us some we hadn't counted on!

1 comment:

TLKOREGON said...

Man....that is a crazy camping trip....sorry I missed it! =)