8/22/2012

the two sides of camping

for those of you who haven't heard my diagnosis was endometriosis and I don't need any further treatment unless/until I begin to have quite a bit of pain. So for now, I suppose I'm back to my normal self. Now, onto camping.

Camping in my family always meant good fun, lots of food of course, quiet, calm nights around the campfire, etc.  Great memories.  So we went to Lake Afton for the first time only about 20 min from our house.  Small but very pretty.  We picked a spot by the playground, swimming area, and bathroom (very important).  We got set up and ate some dinner, and built a campfire, and enjoyed the evening together.  This was going to be great.

 To me, this looks like a beautiful, peaceful place to be.  Then the neighbors came.  Long story short, they had blaring rap music, swearing of course (the music and the screaming people) and base that was rattling my teeth.  3 hours later we called the police to ask about noise restrictions and quiet hours, and who to call.  When the police came, or any other vehicle, they would turn their music down drastically or off altogether.  In short, they didn't get caught.  So at 12:30 am, when Ryan, Isabelle, and I were all starting at each other in the tent, we called it.  within 10 minutes we had the tent and all of our stuff packed up and we drove back home to sleep.
 Try #2.  We went back the next day determined to finish out our camping trip.  We thought about just staying home, but the weather was so nice and the permit we'd bought was goood until 6pm, so we went back and found a DIFFERENT spot at the lake.  Also nice, but further from bathrooms, swimming, and playground.  No neighbors though  =)
 
 We gave it some time and thought it would be good so we pitched the tent.  The children of course had to help with the poles (aka, sword fight that we put an end to when peple's heads and bodies were getting stabbed)
 
 I was hard at work holding the stakes.  I was always the best nail picker-upper for my dad when I would "help" him too.
This was going to be good.  We could tell.  Stay tuned for part #2 of camping

1 comment:

The Moores said...

Wow can't wait to hear the rest of the story! I also have fond memories of camping; motor home, lots of mountain dew, and hand and foot with the garrison girls. Good times!